Summer Berry Jam brings all your favorite summer fruits together into one jar. Blackcurrants, Redcurrants, Raspberries, Blackberries & Strawberries. Make from fresh or frozen fruit. We sieve our blackcurrants and redcurrants which removes the skins and makes the jam easier to spread.
- 200g Blackcurrants with stalks removed.
- 200g Redcurrant with stalks removed
- 200g Strawberries
- 200g Blackberries
- 200g Raspberries
- 1.2 Kg of granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 to 5 medium sized Jam Jars with new lids
- Large pan or Preserving/ Jam pan
- Small plate
- Place a couple of small plates in the fridge and give sufficient time to cool before starting the jam making
- Wash the jam jars in warm soapy water, rinse and along with the lids, place in a warm oven at about 80 degrees centigrade.
How to make the Summer Berry Jam
- Put the blackcurrants and redcurrants, into a large pan with 400ml of water and heat gently until the currants are soft and the berries have broken down.
- Put the currants through a sieve in order to remove the skins and pips and obtain the juice.
- Add to the currant juice the other berries, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over a gentle heat slowly until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a gentle boil, stirring so that the contents of the pan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Gently boil until the contents looks thicker and begins to jellify on the back of a cold spoon.
- To test if the jam is set, put a tea spoon on the very cold plate and leave to cool for a minute. When cool enough push it with your finger. If the contents on the plate wrinkles, the jam is ready and will set. You should also be able to tip the plate and the contents not run off. If it stays, runny, boil the pan for a few more minutes and then repeat the test.
- Once it passes the test, leave the jam in the pan to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon take off any scum on the surface.
- Put the contents of the pan into the jars while it is still warm. Fill the jars to the top leaving a small air space.
- Any jam left and not enough to fill a jar, place in a tub and put in the fridge and eat this first!