This Blackcurrant jam recipe makes a jam that has a depth of flavour that matches its rich deep colour. Made with fresh or frozen black currants is one of the easier jams to make. We sieve our blackcurrants which removes the skins and makes the jam easier to spread.
- 1.2 Kg of blackcurrants with the stalks removed. This should yield about a litre of juice
- 1 Kg of granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 to 5 medium sized Jam Jars with new lids
- Large pan or Preserving/ Jam pan
- Small plate
- Place a couple of small plates in the fridge and give sufficient time to cool before starting the jam making
- Wash the jam jars in warm soapy water, rinse and along with the lids, place in a warm oven at about 80 degrees centigrade.
How to make Blackcurrant Jam
- Put the blackcurrants, into a large pan and heat gently until the black currants are soft and the berries have broken down.
- Put the blackcurrants through a sieve in order to remove the skins and pips and obtain the juice.
- Add 600mls of water for every litre of blackcurrant juice. Add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook over a gentle heat slowly until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a gentle boil, stirring so that the contents of the pan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Gently boil until the contents looks thicker and begins to jellify on the back of a cold spoon.
- To test if the jam is set, put a tea spoon on the very cold plate and leave to cool for a minute. When cool enough push it with your finger. If the contents on the plate wrinkles, the jam is ready and will set. You should also be able to tip the plate and the contents not run off. If it stays, runny, boil the pan for a few more minutes and then repeat the test.
- Once it passes the test, leave the jam in the pan to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon take off any scum on the surface.
- Put the contents of the pan into the jars while it is still warm. Fill the jars to the top leaving a small air space.
- Any jam left and not enough to fill a jar, place in a tub and put in the fridge and eat this first!
Our homemade Blackcurrant jam has a depth of flavour that matches its rich deep colour.
Made with fresh blackcurrants, grown at Chilcotts Farm, the jam contains basic natural ingredients and is sieved to remove any pips and skins.
If you want to make your own Blackcurrant Jam, we have the recipe on our website here …..
Sorry Unavailable or Out of Season
Black Currants (Grown at Chilcotts Farm), Lemon Juice, Sugar, Water
Made in an environment where nuts have been present
340g 12oz (280ml)
Made in small batches each season. When its gone its gone., Normally available from August.
Grown in Devon, United Kingdom, Made in Devon, United Kingdom, Produced in Devon, United Kingdom