Blackberry and apple jam is a classic marriage of two late summer fruits. Delicious on toast or sandwiched in a cake, this jam has a beautiful blackberry flavour and aroma.
- 500g of cooking apples, chopped, cored & peeled;
- 500g of blackberries;
- 1 Kg of jam sugar;
- Juice of 1 lemon;
- 4 to 5 medium sized Jam Jars with new lids.
- Large pan or Preserving/ Jam pan
- Small plate
- Place a couple of small plates in the fridge and give sufficient time to cool before starting the jam making
- Wash the jam jars in warm soapy water, rinse and along with the lids, place in a warm oven at about 80 °C.
How to make Blackberry and Apple Jam
- Put the apples and water into a large pan (preferably a jam or preserving pan if you have one).
- Cook over a gentle heat slowly until soft, and then make into a pulp (a potato masher maybe used for this)
- Add the blackberries and sugar and bring to a gentle boil, stirring so that the contents of the pan does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Gently boil until the contents looks thicker and begins to jellify on the back of a cold spoon.
- To test if the jam is set, put a tea spoon on the very cold plate and leave to cool for a minute. When cool enough push it with your finger. If the contents on the plate wrinkles, the jam is ready and will set. You should also be able to tip the plate and the contents not run off. If it stays, runny, boil the pan for a few more minutes and then repeat the test.
- Once it passes the test, leave the jam in the pan to cool for 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon take off any scum on the surface.
- Put the contents of the pan into the jars while it is still warm. Fill the jars to the top leaving a small air space.
- Any jam left and not enough to fill a jar, place in a tub and put in the fridge and eat this first!
Blackberry & Apple Jam
Our handmade Jam, Blackberry and Apple, is a classic marriage of two late summer fruits. Delicious on toast or sandwiched in a cake, this jam has a beautiful blackberry flavour and aroma. The jam has been sieved to remove any pips.
Want to make it yourself? We have the recipe here.
Sorry Unavailable or Out of Season
Apples (Grown at Chilcotts Farm), Blackberries (Grown at Chilcotts Farm), Sugar, Water
Contains Dairy, Made in an environment where nuts have been present
340g 12oz (280ml)
Made in small batches each season. When its gone its gone., Normally available September.
Grown in Devon, United Kingdom, Made in Devon, United Kingdom, Produced in Devon, United Kingdom