With spring well underway, at this time of year the geese, chickens and ducks are in full lay so we have quite a few eggs.
This year we have decided to turn our surplus into pickled eggs. Really easy to make, here is our recipe & method:
- Hard boil a dozen eggs;
- In a pan, add 1 litre of water and 150ml of vinegar (we use spirt vinegar);
- Add 80 grams of sugar, 50 grams of salt, two bay leaves, a tablespoon of mustard seeds and 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds;
- Bring to the boil and add two sliced onions and allow to return to the boil;
- Layer the eggs in a sterilised screw top/ Kilner jar (fill the jar with boiling water to sterilise), covering each layer with the boiling liquor;
- Seal the jar and allow to cool.